Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Standards Based Grading: The Starting Line

I started wrestling with how to use Standards Based Grading a month ago, and although the time I spent researching its potential applications left me with my eyes crossed, it also gave me a lot of good ideas to consider. So when I returned to it this week and tried to foresee how I wanted to design my freshmen world history class, here is what I have discovered/created/need to consider further:

WHAT I'VE FIGURED OUT
  • First, my overall grading scale.
    • Unit Goals – 35%
    • Essential/Transferable Skills – 35%
    • Portfolio Upkeep – 10%
    • Citizenship10%
    • Final Exam – 10%

This grading scale allows for my standards to fall into four categories. My list of standards and their indicators are below.

Stephen Lazar's reflections on his own experience with SBG  have been incredibly helpful in  my own crafting of the above list and grading scale. I'd like to note that he has 'Citizenship' as a part of his SBG, and I agree with him that some students need feedback regarding certain aspects of their behavior, which is why I have included it for my freshmen. I'm not sure I would do this for my AP class.

  • I have decided that I will set aside formal time for reassessments, but seeing as how this is the first year I'm doing SBG, I don't want to force myself into something weekly; I am thinking of something more bi-weekly...? I've decided this for two reasons: first, while Shawn Cornally has some good suggestions for reassessments that are not cookie-cutter retests, it would take me some time to consider how to reassess students for certain objectives in a way that forces them to apply the essentials without simply re-doing a different version of an original assignment. Since this essentially means coming up with an alternative activity for the student to do to show proficiency, until I am confident that I can do this easily enough, I want to make sure I have everything else figured out before assuming I can easily create reassessments. Second, I am considering reassessing students based more on their ability to reflect & articulate why they did not meet a standard. A colleague of mine used 'text corrections' (below) for his class last year, and he had  positive responses from it, so I may consider revamping his sheets for a reflection reassessment tailored to my class. But how can I 'objectively' raise a student's standard based on such a test correction?



  • Furthermore, with regards to reassessment, I have included a 'Growth' strand in my 'Citizenship' standard to help those students who may not be as proactive about showing up for a formal reassessment. In other words, if students show improvement over the course of a term in assigned material, then they will have met a goal of working towards longer retention and mastery of skills. So the idea would be to consciously give students opportunities to reassess as the term goes on in other assignments. Example: if they do an assignment in my Roman unit that is well-written (meets standard E/T 2.1 of my list) but is factually wrong (fails in standards UG 1.1 and E/T 2.2), maybe in my Han China unit they can re-assess by making a logical connection/comparison between the empires in a given assignment. I could then increase their earlier poor scores in the other standards. Yet I would have to make continual reminders to my students that this is a possibility in order to ensure that they are conscious that answering a question can take many forms & should make connections to past material, as long as the answer is relevant, logical, and precise.

CHALLENGES STILL TO FACE
  • My biggest worry with all of this, however, is what SBG will do to my gradebook. I use EasyGradePro for my grades, and while it is great in its ability to add standards, I am a bit confused as to what will be the best way to generate reports for my students. Here is a screen shot of a sample progress report I made-up - while it makes sense to me, I can imagine how ridiculous it would look to one of my students, let alone a parent who may not have the fortitude to try and figure it out. Now a progress report like this is not what my school sends home - this is what my students and their parents could access online just for my class - so it is nothing official, but I still wish it could be less complicated looking.



  • I'm also concerned about how exactly I will grade assignments. In EasyGradePro I can very easily assign standards/indicators to an assignment, but how can I most effectively give my students feedback that they can easily grasp? As I wrote in an earlier post, I plan to introduce the interactive notebook (=portfolio) to my class, so here is a potential problem. If they do a simple 5-10 minute reflection on a topic we discussed, how can I grade according to the 6 or 7 indicators of my writing standard? I will have to discuss this with the teachers at my school who have used SBG to consider how they handle rubrics.
  • As most teachers who use SBG realize, there is a problem if your school hands out grades as a percentage and final letter grade. How can you convert the results of your SBG to the traditional grading scale? I found this site which, I think, has a good justification for a mathematical formula used to calculate final grades. Would it make sense if I use this formula for my standards to calculate my final grade?

LAST THOUGHT
Shawn Cornally has a great analysis of the benefits of summative assessments, even in a class that uses the SBG. And in fact his justification for using summative assignments is, I think, the best way of explaining to my students why they have finals anyway. And fundamentally discussing the point of a final exam will also provide just one more opportunity to get them to think throughout the year how they learn.

As of right now I'll be honest and admit I am feeling like I may be taking on a lot of unknowns here for my freshmen class, with both the interactive notebook and this whole new way of doing my grades, but hopefully all of this pre-planning will help limit the problems as well as provide enough background for me to fix any pitfalls.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so excited to chat when we get back!!! You have done some really cool SBG thinking and it makes me realize how different it looks in a history class. A few quick thoughts:

    1. I don't think reassessing biweekly is reasonable. That gives you like 5 times a term, and kids always have conflicts. But maybe you will have less reassessments that will be need to be written assessments with you there? But I personally can't imagine less than once a week is feasible.

    2. If I were a student looking at that progress report, I would know exactly what I need to work on instead of seeing a bunch of numbers next to "quiz 8" and "hw 24". I don't think it's confusing at all, I think it's great! And I need you to show me how to do that.

    3. I personally would argue against doing weird percentage conversion. To me, what you have to tnk is "what grade would I want someone to get if they got all 3s" or something like that. To me, all 3s iis a C, so I'm totally okay with that being a 75%. But I have that in mind when I'm grading too, so I guess it only matters that you know you choice.

    4. Maybe a way to get around your problem of how to grade like 6 or 7 standards is to have students pick one or two beforehand. So then they are intentionally thinking about the thing they want to improve, and you aren't overwhelmed with trying to update so many standards. I tried to let tests count for standard updates, but it was WAY too crazy for me. I just couldn't handle it! And I also felt students werent doing the kind of deliberate, focused studying that I was hoping for with SBG.

    5. I think one problem with SBG is that it takes a curriculum and splits it up. So students can learn things in isolation and succeed. But summarize assessments forces students to synthesize. So thats why I keep so much summative assessment in my grading scheme.

    You rock, there is some really cool thought process in this, and I can't wait to talk in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your input! All really good points. I'll definitely spend some more time thinking about all of this before I return. I also asked Gary for some of his advice, which I'll share when I see you. For me, my biggest worry relates to the grading - I'm just having a really hard time conceiving how I will grade homework. But I think talking with you more about your experience and seeing your gradebook will help me a lot. Talk soon! :)

    ReplyDelete